Finnish citizens' passport and other travel documents

Passports and identity cards are travel documents. In Finland they are applied from the Police. A driving licence is not a travel document or an official identity card. When you need a passport abroad, you must apply for it in the Finnish mission in the country where you are staying. Finnish missions may issue also identity cards as of 1 January 2017.

Passi ja muut matkustusasiakirjat
The passport's data page includes a microchip which stores the passport data, the holder's personal data and a digitised facial image, as well as a machine-readable part. Embedded on the microchip, there are also security features that make forging and counterfeiting the passport and data on the microchip difficult.

Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland apply the right to free movement of people between themselves. As a Nordic citizen, you do not need a travel document when you are travelling in the other Nordic countries.(Link to another website.) (Opens New Window) However, if necessary, you must be able to prove your identity and nationality.

Border controls have been abolished between the Schengen countries.  When you travel in the Schengen area, you must still hold an approved and valid travel document.

The Schengen States: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

In some countries, Finnish citizens are required to present both a passport and a visa. You can ask about the matter from the mission of your country of destination nearest to you.


As a Finnish citizen, you can use your passport as a travel document to all countries. The passport serves as proof of your identity, too.

 In the EU countries, a passport is a valid travel document until its date of expiry. As for other countries, you should check the passport's required validity after travel (usually 3 or 6 months) at the mission of the country of destination.

In Finland, you can apply for a passport by visiting any local police authority or using the online service of the Police. When abroad, you must apply for a new passport from the Finnish mission in the country where you are staying. In case there is not a Finnish mission, you can apply for an Emergency Travel Document from some other EU country mission.

 Please, bear in mind the following:

  • Passports is issued for a maximum of five (5) years.
  • Only one person's data is included in a passport.
  • Children must have their own passport.

Identity card

Finnish citizens travelling to the EU countries and to certain other European countries can use an identity card as their travel document instead of a passport.

In Finland an identity card is applied for from the Police, and abroad from Finnish missions that issue passports as of 1 January 2017.

An identity card is valid for five (5) years.