Registration of Finns abroad
We urge Finnish citizens travelling abroad and especially those travelling or moving to risk-prone regions to register with us at the matkustusilmoitus.fi (layout.types.url.description) (Opens New Window)service.
A travel registration means that you give
- your personal data
- valid contact details during your journey
- your itinerary
to the Ministry to be used in case of an emergency or crisis situation.
1) Enter the message as follows:
MATKALLA date of departure–date of return destination additional information.
The dates must be in the form dd.mm.year. If you leave out the year, the default value is the current year.
If you travel to several countries during the same trip, register each country separately.
MATKALLA 01.02.–09.03.2010 zimbabwe harare 3persons contact zim diamonds group
- According to the example, 3 persons are travelling between 1 February and 9 March 2010 in Zimbabwe, Harare, and they can be contacted at a Zim Diamonds Group hotel.
2) Send the message to 16358 (DNA, Elisa ja TeliaSonera) or to +358 400 358 300 (foreign operators and other Finnish operators).
3) You will get a reply informing that your registration has been received.
We recommend that you sign up for the registration service to enable us to contact you if necessary for security reasons.
The Population Register Centre does not communicate information concerning moves abroad to Finnish missions abroad.
The Ministry for Foreign Affairs does never disclose personal data for other than essential official purposes. Retention of the data is based on the Consular Services Act.
In the handling of personal data in a crisis situation, the provisions of the Consular Services Act are observed (Consular Services Act, Chapter 11, section 36, 498/1999).
- Maintenance of a register and its use
"The mission may maintain a personal data register if this is necessary for the purpose of performing the functions referred to in Chapter 4, relating to personal safety. The mission shall decide on the establishment of a register. The personal data register maintained by the mission shall be covered by the personal data protection legislation, unless otherwise provided in this Act."