Applying for a passport or an identity card - Ministry for Foreign Affairs
Applying for a passport or an identity card
- The application must be submitted at the embassy in person.
- Make sure that your details are up to date in the population information system. Finnish citizens can, if they wish, check their registered data in the population information system once a year. To correct and revise the data, please contact your nearest local register office.
- You have to pay the fee for a passport or an identity card when you submit the application.
- A passport and an identity card are valid for a maximum of 5 years.
- It takes from a minimum of two weeks to up to several weeks to get an ordinary passport. A fast-track passport can normally be obtained faster, but the time of delivery depends on the country of issuance. Fast-track service does not apply to identity cards.
- Passports and identity cards are issued at Finland's embassies, consulates general and consulates led by a career consul. Finland's Honorary Consulates in Hamburg, Las Palmas and Malaga can issue passports.
- The missions may issue standard identity cards only, also for minors subject to the parents' or guardians' consent. The missions do not accept applications for special minor’s identity cards issued without the parents' of guardians' consent, identity cards for foreigners, or temporary identity cards.
- Identity cards do not contain fingerprints.