Finland’s support to Sub-Saharan Africa is varied
Finland plays a role in the handling of cross-border themes through participating in regional development cooperation. In East Africa, Finland supports the promotion of regional trade, regional integration, and mediation. In Southern Africa, Finland focuses on the advancement of science, technology and innovations as well as on climate change mitigation.
Renewable energy and jobs
Finland supports the EEP Programme in Southern and East Africa (EEP S&EA). The programme has provided access to renewable energy for over 900,000 households in Southern and Eastern Africa, and over 8,000 jobs have been created.
The programme is implemented in fifteen African countries and its aim is to enhance energy security. It also seeks to improve energy efficiency, helping to mitigate climate change.
The programme funds various projects relating to renewable energy and energy efficiency. Funding is provided mainly for projects carried out by private companies but civil society organisations’ projects have been supported, too. The projects to which funding is given are selected through an open call for proposals. In the selection of projects for funding, special attention is paid to the quality of projects and to the opportunity of transferring the lessons learnt in the course of the project to other energy sector projects in the region.
Finland is the lead donor of the EEP S&EA. The Nordic Development Fund, UK and Austria are other major providers of funding. Phase III of the programme starts in 2018.
More information about projects funded under the programme(layout.types.url.description), including about the achievements that have been attained.
Regional projects under way in 2018, which Finland funded by over EUR million:
- Energy and Environment Partnership Programme in Southern and East Africa (EEP S&EA)(layout.types.url.description) in 15 countries. The EEP Programme has its own programme organisation. Finland’s support for Phase III of the EEP Programme in 2018–2022 is EUR 15 million.
- Development of the Southern Africa Network for Biosciences (SANBio(layout.types.url.description)). The SANBio Network comprises 12 Southern African Development Community (SADC) countries. Finland’s support for Phase II of the Finnish-Southern Africa Partnership Programme to strengthen NEPAD/SANBio (BioFISA) in 2015–2018 is EUR 6 million.
- The Southern Africa Innovation Support Programme (SAIS)(layout.types.url.description) promotes economic growth and poverty reduction. The programme provides information about local markets for Team Finland actors. Botswana, South Africa, Namibia, Zambia and Tanzania. Finland's funding will be EUR 8.7 million for Phase II in the years from 2017 to 2021.
- Building Trade Capacity through Customs Modernization in the East and Southern Africa Region supports the participation of countries in the region in international trade. 24 participating countries. EUR 3 million. Implemented by the World Customs Organization (WCO) 2016–2018.
- Supporting economic integration and promoting enhanced trade through funding the TradeMark East Africa (TMEA(layout.types.url.description)). The project is implemented by Trade Mark East Africa (TMEA), which is a non-profit company, Finland's support for the project in 2017–2020 totals EUR 9.8 million.
- Finland supports the strengthening of the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)(layout.types.url.description). The organisation’s aim is to promote peace and development in the region. Finland's support for the project in 2019–2020 totals 1 million.