Foreign Minister Haavisto to UN Human Rights Council and Conference on Disarmament in Geneva
Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto will visit Geneva, Switzerland, from 26 to 27 February. He will deliver Finland’s address to a High-Level Segment of the 52nd session of the Human Rights Council on 27 February.
The Human Rights Council is the UN’s most important intergovernmental body protecting and promoting human rights.
“The UN Human Rights Council has an important mandate to ensure the realisation of human rights around the world. This is particularly important to remember when we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights this year. Human rights belong to everyone, and all UN Member States are committed to human rights,” says Minister for Foreign Affairs Haavisto.
Finland’s membership of the Human Rights Council in 2022–2024 started in January 2022. As a Member of the Human Rights Council, Finland systematically promotes the rights of women and girls, gender equality, the rights of vulnerable persons and groups, and the implementation of accountability. Supporting the independent work of free civil society, human rights defenders and the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights is an essential part of Finland’s membership in the Human Rights Council.
In Geneva, Foreign Minister Haavisto will also attend a High-Level Segment of the Conference on Disarmament, where he will deliver Finland’s national statement. In addition, Minister Haavisto will attend a high-level side event, organised by Finland, on realising the rights of persons with disabilities in conflict settings.
In Geneva, Minister Haavisto will have bilateral discussions with UN Secretary-General António Guterres, among others. He will also meet several foreign ministers from other countries and leaders of international organisations. The topics in Geneva will include Russia’s illegal invasion of Ukraine, which Finland condemns in the strongest terms, and the current situation in Afghanistan, Iran and the Palestinian territory.
- Finland in the Human Rights Council
- Permanent Mission of Finland in Geneva(Link to another website.)
- United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC)(Link to another website.)
- Sampo Saarinen, Diplomatic Adviser to the Minister for Foreign Affairs, tel. +358 295 350 404
- Ann-Mari Fröberg, Team Leader, Unit for Human Rights Policy, tel. +358 295 350 896
- Suvi Tuominen, Counsellor, Unit for Human Rights Policy, tel. +358 295 350 735
- The email addresses of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs are in the format firstname.lastname@example.org