Development cooperation

Uongozi Institute, IV phase


The Institute of African Leadership for Sustainable Development (Uongozi Institute) was founded in 2010 as a joint initiative by Finland and Tanzania as a part of the Helsinki process to meet the challenges of sustainable development. The main goal of the Institute is to support sustainable development in Tanzania and broadly in Africa by strengthening the capacity of the leadership and administration to make accountable political decisions related to sustainable development and implement them effectively. The Institute has become a well-known leadership institute with a good track record on training and policy-work. The Institute is officially under the President’s Office. It has an important role in providing strategic support to the Government, ministries and state-owned enterprises of Tanzania. Part of the Finnish support will be used to strengthen professional leadership skills training for women leaders at the Uongozi institute, in partnership with UN-Women, and with co-financing from the EU. Finland has supported the Institute since its inception and Finland will continue supporting the Institute still during the 4-year ‘Consolidation Phase’ 2022-2026. The President’s Office of Tanzania has taken the main responsibility for the core funding (staff, office, etc.) of the institute. Finland’s support (1 meuros/year) will be earmarked to the ‘Women in Leadership Programme’ (25%), which is a high development policy priority for Finland, and most of the rest 75% to cooperation with Finnish partners (e.g. Aalto university and HAUS).

Funding decision

4 000 000 €

Objectives monitored by OECD's Development Assistance Committee

  • Participatory development/Good governance
  • Aid to environment
  • Gender equality

Field of activity

  • Public sector policy and administrative management 45%
  • Advanced technical and managerial training 45%
  • Environmental policy and administrative management 10%

Funding channel

Uongozi Institute



Code for the object of funding