Development cooperation

CoWASH IV, Community-Led Accelerated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in Ethiopia

Description

COWASH IV (Community-led Accelerated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Project, Phase IV) increases the availability of safe water and sanitation in rural areas of Ethiopia. The aimed long term impact is to improve the health of the population. WASH (water, sanitation and hygiene) sector is important in poverty reduction. The project is based on the CMP model (Community Managed Project Approach): the communities are themselves in charge of the construction, management and maintenance of their water points. In the course of Phase IV, the CMP model is developed further to be modified towards higher technologies (deep wells, water supply) largely triggered by the need to adapt to climate change, especially droughts. CoWASH IV continues in the same regions selected during Phase III. During the earlier phases, the project has build 15,000 water points enabling access to clean water for 3.1 million rural people. Safe water supply and sanitation facilities has been provided for 967 schools and 419 health facilities. In phase IV the targeted number of people having new, rehabilitated or upgraded safe water supply is 800,000. The aim is to increase the percentage of households using latrines from 42% up to 62%. Institutional WASH is targeted to schools and health facilities and the objective is to provide new safely managed water supply systems to hundred schools and health centres. Support to strengthened equity focuses especially to people with disabilities as well as girls and women. Empowerment of women in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Committee (WASHCO) management, including participation in the decision-making processes is supported at the regional and community level cooperation. Mid-term evaluation (2023) found that the project is relevant and has achieved objectives. CoWASH IV has an important role to ensure that project achievements and learning activities are well documented and shared strategically to enhance the impact of COWASH IV on WASH sector policies and practices. Finland’s contribution for Phase IV was 18.4 MEUR which is an estimated 44% of the total budget; the regions and the communities will contribute the remaining 56% totaling to an estimated grand total of 41.4 MEUR. Due to the reconstruction needs caused by the conflict in northern Ethiopia and increased costs of construction, additional funding to the project is 2.4 MEUR, total funding increasing to 20.8 MEUR. This would enable extending the project period with nine months.

Funding decision

2 400 000 €

Objectives monitored by OECD's Development Assistance Committee

  • Aid to environment
  • Climate change - adaptation
  • Gender equality
  • Participatory development/Good governance

Field of activity

  • Basic drinking water supply and basic sanitation 50%
  • Education and training in water supply and sanitation 30%
  • Water sector policy and administrative management 20%

Special target group

  • girls
  • children
  • youth
  • people with disability

Funding channel

  • Konsultit
  • Kehitysmaan valtiovarainministeriö

Contact

ali-20

Code for the object of funding

23816922

ID

UHA2023-011397

Modified

23.11.2023