Coordination group to monitor preparations for NATO membership
The Finnish Government has appointed a coordination group for Finland’s NATO membership, with responsibility for monitoring the preparations for Finland’s membership in the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO). The group will coordinate among the ministries new functions and resource needs that are related to the membership. In addition, it will ensure the flow of information across branches of government. The coordination group is chaired by Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto.
- Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto
- Minister of Defence Antti Kaikkonen
- State Secretary Henrik Haapajärvi
- Permanent Secretary Jukka Salovaara
- State Secretary Johanna Sumuvuori
- State Secretary Mikaela Nylander
- Permanent Secretary Kirsi Pimiä
- State Secretary Akseli Koskela
- Permanent Secretary Esa Pulkkinen
- State Secretary Anna-Mari Vimpari
- State Secretary Dan Koivulaakso
- State Secretary Pilvi Torsti
- Special Adviser Lauri Voionmaa
- Special Adviser Joel Linnainmäki
- Special Adviser Satu Mäki-Lassila
Other ministries and officials of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Defence will participate in the coordination group’s work by invitation, if necessary. The term of the coordination group extends from 29 September 2022 to 2 April 2023.
Finland applied for NATO membership in May 2022. Finland’s NATO membership will improve stability and security in Finland, the Baltic Sea region and Northern Europe. Finland’s strong defence capability and resilience to crisis will also strengthen NATO and the collective defence of the Alliance.
The NATO member countries signed the Accession Protocol concerning Finland’s NATO membership in Brussels on 5 July, making Finland an invitee of the Alliance. Each NATO member country must ratify Finland’s membership before Finland can become a full member of the Alliance.
- Johanna Sumuvuori, State Secretary, tel. +358 295 160 983
- Joel Linnainmäki, Special Adviser, tel. +358 295 350 466.
- The email addresses of the Ministry for Foreign Affairs are in the format firstname.lastname@example.org