Finland builds security through civilian crisis management around the world from Ukraine to Africa
On 5 May 2022, the Ministry for Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of the Interior will hold an invitational discussion on Finland’s priorities and objectives for developing the EU’s civilian crisis management and on our national capabilities for comprehensive crisis management.
The event will also discuss what Russia’s war of aggression in Ukraine means for the future of civilian crisis management, both in Ukraine and in the EU’s neighbouring regions. The event will be opened by Minister for Foreign Affairs Pekka Haavisto and Minister of the Interior Krista Mikkonen.
“The need to use crisis management to strengthen stability and security in the EU’s neighbouring regions and Africa is set grow in the future. Finland plays an active role in the development of civilian crisis management and promotes the effectiveness of these activities,” says Minister for Foreign Affairs Haavisto.
“Civilian crisis management plays an important role in getting society back on its feet after a conflict. We want to develop civilian crisis management further and consider new ways of engaging all of society in crisis management,” says Minister of the Interior Mikkonen.
The third opening speech will be delivered remotely by Antti Hartikainen, Head of the European Union Advisory Mission in Ukraine.
After the opening speeches, there will be a panel discussion, which will be attended by:
- Kirsi Henriksson, Director, Crisis Management Centre CMC Finland
- Oskari Eronen, Head of Asia Programme, CMI – Martti Ahtisaari Peace Foundation
- Tuija Brax, Director, Rule of Law Centre
- Tyyne Karjalainen, Researcher, Finnish Institute of International Affairs
- Anne Palm, Executive Director, Wider Security Network (WISE)
The panel will be moderated by Johanna Sumuvuori, Chair of the Parliamentary Committee on Crisis Management and State Secretary to the Minister for Foreign Affairs. The discussion after the panel will be hosted and the closing words will be given by State Secretary Akseli Koskela from the Ministry of the Interior.
- Max Hatvala, First Secretary, Ministry for Foreign Affairs, tel. +358 295 350 446, email@example.com
- Jari Mustonen, Chief Specialist, Ministry of the Interior, tel. +358 295 488 481, firstname.lastname@example.org