Impact of Brexit on citizens
The free movement of EU citizens between the EU countries and the United Kingdom ceased when the UK withdrew from the EU’s single market on 31 December 2020. The EU–UK Withdrawal Agreement safeguards the rights of EU citizens who have moved to the UK and, correspondingly, UK citizens who have moved to the EU on 31 December 2020 at the latest.
Changes affecting movement of persons between the EU and the United Kingdom:
- Border checks in effect
- Pet passports not in use
- Visa-free travel to the UK for stays for up to 6 months
- No visa-free travel to the UK for stays exceeding 6 months
- Changes to the right to work, study or reside in the country
- Mutual recognition of professional qualifications no longer in effect
- Changes to luggage restrictions
- Roaming charges in effect, that is, visitors to the UK may be charged higher prices for their mobile use and an additional fee for using mobile data.
Changes in travel rights.
Consumer goods trade and purchases between an EU Member State and the United Kingdom
Starting on 1 January 2021, orders of all shipments from the UK are subject to customs duties and VAT, which is usually 24 per cent. You may also be charged customs duties on your shipments.
UK and EU programmes
- No access to Erasmus
- Access to Horizon Europe under the special conditions defined in the Trade and Cooperation Agreement.
The UK is no longer participating in the Erasmus+ cooperation programme. In its place, the UK has announced that it will set up its own exchange programme.
The EU–UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement aims to safeguard certain rights of Finnish and UK citizens. This applies to EU citizens working in, travelling to or moving to the UK and to UK citizens working in, travelling to or moving to the EU after 1 January 2021.
- Effects of Brexit on social security and healthcare services | Ministry of Social Affairs and Health(Link to another website.)
- Effects of Brexit on Kela benefits | Social Insurance Institution of Finland (Kela).(Link to another website.)fi